The Eastern West Virginia Community Foundation is now accepting proposals from nonprofit organizations that cater to the needs of senior citizens in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia. Thanks to the Kings Daughters Senior Citizens Charitable Fund, a total of $30,000 in grants will be awarded to organizations that provide elderly persons with housing facilities and services specifically designed to meet their physical, social, and psychological needs and to promote their health, security, happiness, and usefulness in longer living.
Eligibility, Deadline, Reports, and Requirements
Eligible Organizations: The Community Foundation awards grants to nonprofit organizations with Senior Care programs in Morgan, Berkeley, and/or Jefferson counties of West Virginia.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- An already existing nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization in good standing with the IRS, or
- An existing government/quasi-governmental agency, or public school applying for a project that is not funded by tax revenue, or
- A religious organization requesting funding for a non-sectarian charitable purpose, or
- A civic group that is not a 501(c)(3) organization requesting funding for a charitable community cause.
Required Financial Information for 501(c)(3) Organizations
Applications must include financial information for the organization as a whole, and in addition:
- Applicants with charitable contributions over $300,000 but less than $500,000 must provide the most recent financial review performed by an independent certified public accountant.
- Applicants with charitable contributions over $500,000 must provide the most recent audit performed by an independent certified public accountant.
In addition, 501(c)(3) organizations must be in good standing with:
- West Virginia Secretary of State’s Business & Licensing and also the Charities Division: http://apps.sos.wv.gov/business/corporations/ & https://sos.wv.gov/business/Pages/Charities.aspx
- IRS, as assessed via IRS Pub 78 and GuideStar: https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/ & https://www.guidestar.org/Home.aspx
Application Period: September 18th – October 13th, 2023.
Grant Notification: Grantees will be notified and grants will be awarded in early December.
Trust-Based Philanthropy Reporting Requirements: In an effort to streamline the grants process for nonprofit organizations, the Community Foundation has adopted trust-based philanthropy and will award and pay these grants upfront. A final report, including a summary of grant expenses, must be provided to the Community Foundation by the date included on your award letter. Grantees also agree to attend a Zoom meeting to discuss their grant. Extensions may be allowed with prior approval.