Eastern West Virginia Community Foundation Youth and education grant applications are being accepted through October 1st for programs serving Jefferson, Berkeley, or Morgan Counties.
Available Grant Funding Categories & Criteria:
Youth Grants — to support programs that assist sick, needy, dependent, neglected, and disadvantaged children, improve the quality of life for children in the community, and/or provide educational, athletic, academic, social, civic, or community-based activities that involve or support children. Programs that celebrate diversity and/or promote equity and inclusion are encouraged. Grant range: $1,000 – $5,000
Education Grants — to support educational opportunities including but not limited to: preparatory skills, tutoring programs, innovative programs that strengthen educational development, nutrition programs, small capital needs within the classroom, department, or school, after-school, and summer programs. Programs that celebrate diversity and/or promote equity and inclusion are encouraged. Grant range: $1,000 – $3,000
Eligibility, Deadline, Reports, and Requirements:
Eligible Organizations: The Community Foundation administers grants to organizations providing direct benefits to Morgan, Berkeley, and/or Jefferson counties in West Virginia.
All applicants must meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
- An already existing nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization in good standing with the IRS,
- An existing government/quasi-governmental agency, or public school applying for a project that is not funded by tax revenue,
- A religious organization requesting funding for non-sectarian activities, or
- A civic group that is not a 501(c)(3) organization requesting funding for a charitable community
In addition, 501(c)(3) organizations must be in good standing with:
- West Virginia Secretary of State’s Business & Licensing and also the Charities Division: http://apps.sos.wv.gov/business/corporations/ & https://sos.wv.gov/business/Pages/Charities.aspx
- IRS, as assessed via IRS Pub 78: https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/
Application Period: August 15 – October 1. All grant applications must be submitted by 5 PM on October 1st to be considered. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Grant Notification: Grants will be awarded and checks will be presented in late October.
Grant Payment and Reporting Requirements: To simplify the process, the Eastern West Virginia Community Foundation has embraced the concept of trust-based philanthropy and will pay the full amount of the grant when the award is announced. A Zoom meeting of all grantees will be held approximately six months after the grants are awarded. Each grant recipient will be asked to answer a few simple questions that will provide EWVCF with valuable information about the effectiveness of the grant. By presenting the answers to these questions during a Zoom meeting, grantees will have the opportunity to hear what other organizations are doing and learn how they might find ways to collaborate. Additionally, grantees will email photographs of their programs or projects and written answers to the questions.
Required Financial Information for 501(c)(3) Organizations:
Applications must include financial information for the organization as a whole, and in addition:
- Applicants with charitable contributions over $300,000 but less than $500,000 must have an annual financial review performed by an independent certified public
- Applicants with charitable contributions over $500,000 must provide the most recent audit performed by an independent certified public