The Eastern West Virginia Community Foundation (EWVCF) was founded in 1995 to help donors create endowed funds to benefit worthy charitable programs in Jefferson, Berkeley and Morgan counties.
(Note: if you are using the Save and Continue feature, after clicking the button, please scroll down and enter your e-mail where prompted.)
Available Grant Funding Categories & Criteria
Youth Grants support programs that assist sick, needy, dependent, neglected, and disadvantaged children, improve the quality of life for children in Jefferson, Berkeley, and Morgan Counties, and/or provide educational, athletic, academic, social, civic, or community-based activities that involve or support children. Programs that celebrate diversity and/or promote equity and inclusion are encouraged. Grant range: $1,000 – $5,000
Education Grants support educational opportunities in Jefferson, Berkeley, and Morgan Counties, including but not limited to preparatory skills, tutoring programs, innovative programs that strengthen educational development, nutrition programs, and small capital needs within the classroom, department, or school, after-school, and summer programs. Programs that celebrate diversity and/or promote equity and inclusion are encouraged. Grant range: $500- $2,000
Eligibility, Deadline, Reports, and Requirements
Eligible Organizations: The Community Foundation awards Youth and Education Grants to organizations providing direct benefits in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.
All applicants must meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
- An already existing nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization in good standing with the IRS,
- An existing government/quasi-governmental agency, or public school applying for a project that is not funded by tax revenue,
- A religious organization requesting funding for non-sectarian activities, or
- A civic group that is not a 501(c)(3) organization requesting funding for a charitable community
In addition, 501(c)(3) organizations must be in good standing with:
- West Virginia Secretary of State’s Business & Licensing and also the Charities Division:http://apps.sos.wv.gov/business/corporations/ & https://sos.wv.gov/business/Pages/Charities.aspx
- IRS, as assessed via IRS Pub 78: https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/
Application Period: August 5 – September 29.
Grant Notification: Grants will be awarded and checks will be presented in October.
Grant Payment and Reporting Requirements: To simplify the process, the Eastern West Virginia Community Foundation has embraced the concept of trust-based philanthropy and will pay the full amount of the grant when the award is accepted by the grantee. A Zoom meeting of all grantees will be held approximately six months after the grants are awarded. Each grant recipient will be asked to answer approximately 10 simple questions that will provide EWVCF with valuable information about the effectiveness of the grant. Also, by presenting the answers to these questions during a Zoom meeting, grantees will have the opportunity to hear what other organizations are doing and learn how they might find ways to collaborate.
Required Financial Information for 501(c)(3) Organizations
Applications must include financial information for the organization as a whole, and in addition:
- Applicants with charitable contributions over $300,000 but less than $500,000 must have an annual financial review performed by an independent certified public
- Applicants with charitable contributions over $500,000 must provide the most recent audit performed by an independent certified public