The Eastern West Virginia Community Foundation’s newly established Frank C. Fischer Veterans Fund was created to support nonprofit and faith-based organizations, civic groups, and government entities that offer programs for United States Veterans. Since this is the very first year that the Community Foundation is awarding grants from the Fund, we decided to ask the readers of our newsletters and Facebook pages to recommend organizations serving Veterans in Jefferson, Berkeley, Morgan, Hampshire, and/or Hardy Counties.
The response was overwhelming, and we heard from readers about 26 programs that are doing remarkable things for Veterans in our communities. With $10,000 to award from the Frank C. Fischer Fund, we were challenged to come up with a fair and equitable way to thank more than just a few of these worthy organizations. Not willing to whittle down the number, we decided to add $3,000 from our EWVCF Endowment for the Community and award a $500 grant to each of the 26 nominees.
Congratulations to one and all! Thank you for the great work you do to support United States Veterans in our region. We are so pleased that Leslie Crabill at BCT Bank of Charles Town helped FC Fischer establish this Fund, and we look forward to awarding grants from it every Veterans Day.
Here are the 26 organizations that will be receiving $500 grants from the Frank C. Fischer Veterans Fund!
- Access 304
- American Legion Auxiliary Green-Copeland Unit 63
- American Legion Auxiliary, Moorefield unit 64
- American Legion Post 137
- Capon Post 2102 Auxiliary
- Eastern Action
- Faith Feeding Freedom
- Harpers Ferry & Bolivar Veterans Honor Guard
- Horses with Hearts
- Hospice of the Panhandle
- Martinsburg Union Rescue Mission
- Meals on Wheels of Berkeley County
- Moorefield Church of God
- Moorefield Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9606
- People of Worth
- Senior Life Services of Morgan County
- Student Veterans of America at Blue Ridge CTC
- The River House
- Thin Line Service Dogs
- To The ResQ
- Tri-County Veterans Suicide Prevention Coalition
- Valley View United Inc.
- Veterans Upward Bound
- Voices Against Domestic Violence
- Wanishi Foundation
- Wardensville Lions Club